Think Outside the Boss provides community members an introduction into the nuts and bolts of starting and running a cooperatively owned business. We go over legal issues in an accessible way to help you understand the relationships between cooperatives, employment, and community wealth-building. If you are an entrepreneur starting a business, an existing business owner thinking about succession plans, or an existing worker coop looking for a refresher, this training is for you!
Free food and drinks from local worker cooperatives!
Attorneys, law students, and experienced cooperative professionals will give short presentations on legal issues, governance structures, financing, cooperative conversion, and more -- including resources and information on:
- What is a worker-owned business?
- What are advantages of forming a cooperative business?
- How do you spread ownership and control across a group of people?
- What are the tax benefits for selling your business to your employees?
- What are the steps to convert your business to a cooperative?
- How do you raise money for a cooperative?
- What are the tax and accounting issues in a cooperative?
- How does employment laws effect worker coops?
At the event, we will have bound copies of the Think Outside the Boss manual for attendees! You can also download it for free prior to the event here.
The event will include breakout groups where you can dive deeper into cooperative conversions, speak with worker members, talk with Oakland City staff about navigating their licensing requirements and accessing City contracts, speak with cooperative attorneys, and more!
We would like to thank the City of Oakland for hosting this workshop during National Small Business Week & Beneficial State Bank for funding the cost of printing our manuals!
$5 - $25 Donation Requested
If you would like to donate in person or receive our training as a gift,
please RSVP with [email protected]!
No one turned away for lack of funds!
1 Frank H Ogawa Plz
Hearing Room 3
Oakland, CA 94612
Google map and directions