Do you have an idea to change your community for the better? Do you have questions about policymaking on a local or state level? Do you want to explore your inner policymaker?
Come get answers, ideas, and strategies from our center's staff, experienced attorneys, and policymakers!
This is a two-part event (You can come to both, or either.)
1. From 5:00PM - 6:00 PM, there will be a teach-in on navigating the CA State Legislature! You’ll learn about the process of organizing a CA legislative campaign, how to work with legislators and their staff, how laws get written and amended, how to research California statutes, and some tips and strategies for success in state-level policy advocacy. You’ll hear anecdotes from our staff, Christina Oatfield and Cameron Rhudy, about their years of adventures in and around our state capitol.
2. From 6:00PM to 7:30PM, we'll be hosting a Policy Cafe where we'll be offering individualized consultations for folks who want to discuss their specific policy ideas and get advice on questions such as:
- What are the next steps after I have come up with my policy idea?
- How do I draft a piece of legislation?
- How do I approach council members, county supervisors, or other legislators about my idea?
- How do I navigate the legislative process?
- In what ways can my nonprofit participate in policy advocacy?
1428 Franklin St
Oakland, CA 94612
Google map and directions