Anyone can make policy.
Do you have an idea to change your community for the better? Do you have questions about policymaking on a local or state level? Do you want to explore your inner policymaker?
Come get answers, ideas, and strategies from our center's staff, experienced attorneys and policymakers!
This is a two-part event (You can come to both, or either!)
1. From 5:00PM - 6:00 PM, there will be a teach-in on navigating the CA State Legislature! You’ll learn about the process of organizing a CA legislative campaign, how to work with legislators and their staff, how laws get written and amended, how to research California statutes, and some tips and strategies for success in state-level policy advocacy. You’ll hear anecdotes from our staff, Christina Oatfield and Cameron Rhudy, about their years of adventures in and around our state capitol.
2. From 6:00PM to 7:30PM, we'll be hosting a Policy Cafe and offering individualized consultations for folks who want to discuss their specific ideas and get advice on questions such as:
- What are the next steps after I have come up with my policy idea?
- How do I draft a policy proposal?
- How do I approach council members, county supervisors, or other legislators about my idea?
- How do I navigate the legislative process?
- In what ways can my nonprofit participate in policy advocacy?
The Policy Cafe will provide direct support to individuals and groups who are working to create new solutions for resilient local economies through policymaking and is part of our Transformative Policymakers project. It's modeled after our Resilient Communities Legal Cafe, which provides donation-based legal advice for the community.
For questions, please contact our Policy Director, Yassi Eskandari at email@example.com.
DATE: Wednesday, October 18, 2017.
TIME: 5:00PM - 7:30PM.
LOCATION: Sustainable Economies Law Center, 1428 Franklin St. Oakland, CA 94612.