Incubating People Power Solar Cooperative
In 2017, we developed a vision for something called a Permanent Community Energy Cooperative (described in this cartoon video). We were looking for a model that would accelerate an equitable transition to renewables by enabling widespread grassroots crowd-financing and community-led development of new energy projects designed for long-term community ownership and control. The model was designed to overcome several legal and practical barriers we had identified in our advocacy for community ownership of energy.
That led to the 2018 launch of People Power Solar Cooperative and our long-time partnership with them. People Power continues to be a close collaborator and primary thought-partner as we expand our work on energy democracy.
There are so many stories to tell about what we've done and learned with People Power! Here are links to learn more and get involved:
- An early 2-min intro video to People Power
- A short video about their first solar project
- An article about their unique legal structure
- Cartoon Bylaws of People Power Solar Cooperative,
- Watch their 7-min video about the extractive economics of investor-owned utilities.
- Read their article about the power dynamic upholding the extraction of our wealth and health: High Equity Stakes in California’s Solar Fight
- Learn what People Power is doing to create tangible alternatives
- Essential Connections for Energy Democracy, an essay telling more of the story of Sustainable Economies Law Center's energy work from 2013 to 2022, by Janelle Orsi
- Thoughts on People Power Solar Cooperative and Energy Democracy, and essay telling the story of People Power and its various projects from 2018 to 2022, by Grayson Flood
- Join their online community, the People Power Playground
- Resources from People Power Solar Cooperative
- Get involved here!