We've been working towards this groundbreaking moment for two years. California State Assemblymember Steven Bradford has introduced AB 2561, the California Neighborhood Food Act, which, if passed into law, will remove zoning law barriers and other obstacles to growing produce for personal use or for sale throughout California.
It's time to legalize front yard and backyard gardens, community gardens and farm micro-enterprises! It's time to bring fresh, local produce to all communities in California, regardless of geographic limitations and socio-economic status!
Now we need your help to ensure the Neighborhood Food Act will become law.
Here's how you can help, in rough order of priority:
1) Write a letter in support of the Neighborhood Food Act on behalf of your organization, community group, business, family or yourself.
Download a template letter here and please take a few minutes to make the letter personal and unique to your or your organization's perspective. Make any and all changes to the template that you'd like. At the very least please add a few sentences about your organization and why this legislation is important to you where the template suggests.
If you choose to fax your letter please email Andrea and Christina just to notify us that you sent a fax.
We encourage you to send copies of the letter to your Assemblymember and Senator. Don't know who your representatives are? Search here: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
2) Ask other organizations to write letters of support and to join our email action alert list by forwarding this message or this link. If you are receiving this email you're already on the email list. We won't spam you or sell your information to others, we promise. We will send you occasional updates about the bill's progress and notify you when there is a key opportunity to contact legislators or take other actions to support the bill.
4) Become a spokesperson! If you would like to speak about the bill to community groups in your area or to the media, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Join our organizing team. Want to get even more involved? Can you commit a few hours per week for the next several months to this campaign? We want you on our team! Email email@example.com.
6) Make a donation so we can help bring advocates and urban farmers from around the state to Sacramento to speak directly to legislators in person about the importance of this bill!
With great excitement and hope,
Your friends at the Sustainable Economies Law Center, Slow Food California and the Social Justice Learning Institute