Anyone can make policy.
Do you have an idea to change your community for the better? Do you have questions about policymaking on a local or state level? Do you want to explore your inner policymaker?
Come get answers, ideas, and strategies from our center's staff, experienced attorneys and policymakers!
This is a two-part event (You can come to both, or either!)
1. From 5:00PM - 5:45PM, there will be a DIY Policymaking teach-in facilitated by Sustainable Economies Law Center's Policy Director, Yassi Eskandari, and Executive Director, Janelle Orsi. They'll present best practices for engaging in local and state-level policy issues.
2. From 5:45PM to 7:30PM, we'll be hosting a Policy Cafe and offering individualized consultations for folks who want to discuss their specific ideas and get advice on questions such as:
- What are the next steps after I have come up with my policy idea?
- How do I draft a policy proposal?
- How do I approach council members, county supervisors, or other legislators about my idea?
- How do I navigate the legislative process?
- In what ways can my nonprofit participate in policy advocacy?
The Policy Cafe will provide direct support to individuals and groups who are working to create new solutions for resilient local economies through policymaking and is part of our Transformative Policymakers project. It's modeled after our Resilient Communities Legal Cafe, which provides donation-based legal advice for the community.
For questions, please contact our Director of Community Engagement, Eunice Kwon, at [email protected].
DATE: Tuesday, August 22, 2017.
TIME: 5:00PM - 7:30PM.
LOCATION: Sustainable Economies Law Center, 1428 Franklin St. Oakland, CA 94612.Sign up
Below, find all the events related to SELC's Legal Profession in the New Economy program, including workshops, happy hours, and presentations produced by SELC that will push the Legal Profession towards the creation of a new, just, and generative economy! You can also view all of our events on SELC's events page.
Alternatively, view all of SELC's events in a Google calendar here.See all events
SELC's annual Fall Celebration & Showcase is coming soon! We hold this event every year to celebrate the year's successes, connect with our friends, and thank our supporters in person. As we move into Fall, this is our opportunity to harvest the fruits of our work supporting the transition to more just and resilient local economies - so come on out and give thanks with us!Read more
This fall, SELC is offering an 11-part workshop series for attorneys and legal professionals seeking to build skills and knowledge to meet the legal needs of the sharing economy. Click here for the full listing of workshops. This is the first workshop series of its kind! The curriculum for the workshop expands upon SELC’s groundbreaking book, Practicing Law in the Sharing Economy (ABA Books 2012).