Do you operate a local currency or exchange project? Are you hoping to start one? Are you a legal professional or policy maker wanting to support complementary currency projects? Then this webinar and live chat is for you! Scroll down to RSVP below.
Hosted by SELC Executive Director, Janelle Orsi, this video and the live chat session that follows will address foundational legal questions such as:
- What laws prohibit or prevent the creation of complementary currencies, and how might we change these laws?
- What other laws dictate the form and other characteristics of currencies?
- When there are legal grey areas in determining what is a currency, how can we hone our arguments and also advocate for greater legal clarity?
- What is the potential for cities and states to create currencies, and how does the U.S. Constitution create constraints on this?
- Under what circumstances can employees be compensated with complementary currencies?
- What laws apply to and put constraints on the organizations that administer community currencies?
We will discuss the Bank Secrecy Act, state money transmission laws, and other financial and consumer protection laws that might apply, and also explore the question of how to create laws better tailored to organizations administering community currencies
Please note the unique structure of this two-part event:
1. RSVP on this event page, then watch these videos before the August 6th Live Chat session:
2. You're not done yet! On August 6th, 11:00 PST, SELC will host a one-hour online live chat session for viewers of the two-part video. This is your chance to pose your legal questions directly to Janelle Orsi - one of the country's foremost legal experts on local currencies - and SELC's Community Currencies Program team! In order to join us for the August 6th Live Chat session at 11:00 am P.S.T., you MUST register for the 8/6 GoToWebinar Live Chat session here.
3. Finally, on August 6th at 11:00 am P.S.T., join us on GoToWebinar for the one-hour online chat session! Don't forget, you must register for the GoToWebinar Live Chat session in order to join us live.
For more information and legal resources related to complementary currencies, please visit CommunityCurrenciesLaw.org, SELC online legal resource library.