Do you have an idea to change your community for the better? Do you have questions about policymaking on a local or state level? Do you want to explore your inner policymaker?
Come get answers, ideas, and strategies from our center's staff, experienced attorneys, and policymakers!
This is a two-part event (You can come to both, or either!)
1. From 5:00PM - 5:45PM, there will be a Do-It-Yourself Policymaking teach-in facilitated by Sustainable Economies Law Center's Policy Director, Yassi Eskandari, and Executive Director, Janelle Orsi. They'll present an introductory overview of the policymaking process and share some best practices for engaging in local and state-level policy change.
2. From 5:45PM to 7:30PM, we'll be hosting a Policy Cafe and offering individualized consultations for folks who want to discuss their specific ideas and get advice on questions such as:
- What are the next steps after I have come up with my policy idea?
- How do I draft a policy proposal?
- How do I approach council members, county supervisors, or other legislators about my idea?
- How do I navigate the legislative process?
- In what ways can my nonprofit participate in policy advocacy?
1428 Franklin St
Oakland, CA 94612
Google map and directions