Anyone can make policy.
Do you have an idea to change your community for the better? Do you have questions about policymaking? Do you want to explore your inner policymaker?
Come get answers, ideas, and strategies from our center's staff, experienced attorneys and policymakers!
This is a two-part event (You can come to both, or either! Check one or both of the boxes below):
1. From 5:00PM - 6:00PM, there will be a DIY Policymaking Teach-in facilitated by Sustainable Economies Law Center's Policy Director, Yassi Eskandari, and Food and Farm Attorney, Neil Thapar. They'll present best practices for engaging in local and state-level policy issue.
2. From 6:00PM to 7:30PM, we'll be hosting a Policy Cafe and offering individualized consultations for folks who want to discuss their specific ideas and get advice on questions such as:
- What are the next steps after I have come up with my policy idea?
- How do I draft a policy proposal?
- How do I approach council members, county supervisors, or other legislators about my idea?
- How do I navigate the legislative process?
The pilot Policy Cafe will provide direct support to individuals and groups who are working to create new solutions for resilient local economies through policymaking and is part of our Transformative Policymakers project. It's modeled after our Resilient Communities Legal Cafe, which provides donation-based legal advice for the community.
For questions, please contact our Director of Community Engagement, Eunice Kwon, at email@example.com.
DATE: December 5th, 2016.
TIME: 5:00PM - 7:30PM.
LOCATION: Omi Gallery, Impact HUB Oakland, 2323 Broadway, Oakland CA 94612.